"You are the best field trip ever…The Rosson House was so fun, I wish you could sell it to me."– Tristan, age 9
Homeschool Fieldtrips at Hertitage Square
Whether for individual families or meet up groups, Heritage Square has programs to meet your interests. Individual families can sign up for field trips through the link above.
Meet up groups with 10 or more students can schedule a private field trip. We handle the registration and payment for you and offer more flexibility to tailor the field trip to your interests. Our field trips are available on Tuesdays, either at 10am or a 1pm. See specific programs for pricing and capacity.
Questions? Please contact our education department by email or at 602-261-8948
A Child's Life in 1900
A Child’s Life in 1900 explores what life was like for people who lived in Phoenix 120 years ago.
- Cost: $5/students aged 4 to 17, $5/parents and accompanying adults, Free/children under 4
- Time: 1 1/2 hours
- Three activities
- See calendar to register
A Child’s Life in 1900 is a 1 1/2-hour, interactive field trip that offers three exciting learning stations. You and your family will rotate through the stations in small groups, allowing for a personal and hands-on experience. The stations include –
- Rosson House Tour – Introduces the Goldberg family with their two young daughters Selma and Hazel, and baby brother, Chester. Trained docents help students explore what life was like 120 years ago by seeing the technologies, decor and lifestyles of 1900.
- Chores – Using both real and reproduction artifacts, students learn first-hand about the chores their turn-of-the-century counterparts may have done. They wash laundry using a scrub board, wringer and clothesline, beat the dust out of rugs, and try their hands at old fashioned vacuums and irons.
- Games – Hoop and Stick was once a favored outdoor game. Students try their hand at controlling the wooden hoops while racing their other children.
A Child’s Life in 1900 is geared to children in the third, fourth and fifth grades, however all ages are welcome. It meets the Arizona Department of Learning Standards for Social Studies Strand 1 – American History, Social Studies Strand 4 – Geography and Science Strand 3 – Science in Personal and Social Perspectives.
For private groups:
Heritage Square hosts homeschool field trips for groups with 10 or more students, with a maximum of 45 people of any age. A $50 deposit and pre-registration are required to hold the date.
During these field trips, your family will enjoy the same activities listed above. A fourth station can be added for another dollar per person and it will expand the visit to a full 2 hours. In Guess the Artifact we handle actual historic objects that were common in the 19th century and are no longer in use. We will use our detective skills to determine what they are and discuss the technical innovations which made them obsolete.
For additional information and to book a homeschool group, please contact our education department by email or at 602-261-8948.
Traveling Trunk with A Child's Life in 1900
Can’t make it to the Rosson House Museum with your homeschool group? Our traveling trunk is a portable version of Heritage Square’s on-site field trip. It includes 5 lesson plans and hands-on activities so that children can experience A Child’s Life in 1900 and understand the dramatic changes in lifestyles over the past 100 years.
The lessons and hands-on activities include a primary source activity, analyzing an early map of Phoenix, doing laundry using washboards and clotheslines, writing on slate boards, and playing the historic game of Graces. Each lesson plan is designed to meet State of Arizona Learning Standards for 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade students.
Cost: $30 for a two week rental. Price includes delivery & pickup. We encourage multiple teachers at one school to use the trunk. After school enrichment programs and homeschool groups are also welcome to rent the trunk.
Booking: Traveling Trunks are reserved on a first come, first served basis. The booking process is in 3 parts:
1) Email email or call at 602-261-8948 to initiate the process and tentatively select a 2-week rental period.
2) Submit this contract, completed and signed, by email or mail.
3) Tender payment in full or a purchase order (or proof that a PO has been requested).