Hybrid 20-24 hour work week. Work days may include Wednesday through Sunday with occasional work outside of regular hours for special events. $15 / hour
Send a letter of interest describing your qualifications and interest in the position to our Director of Operations at email@example.com. A resume may be included but is optional. This position is open until filled.
Museum Specialists guide tours through the exhibit spaces at Heritage Square, including the Rosson House Museum, greet visitors, answer questions, and perform cash register transactions. They also assist with the Foundation’s mission to provide an engaging destination in the heart of downtown Phoenix through preservation, education, events, and memorable experiences. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to carry out their duties satisfactorily within the parameters set forth below. Other duties may be assigned. This position involves extensive training and research to learn the specific cultures, people, and artifacts associated with the Square, its residents, and historic Phoenix in general. An addition, this position also includes working with our Director of Marketing to develop and improve our social media presence.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Foster a positive work environment through courteous, respectful, and helpful interactions (in-person, on the phone, and in email) with visitors, park partners, and co-workers.
- Interpret historic events and themes for a wide range of audiences.
- Perform tours at Heritage Square indoors and outdoors in a variety of conditions.
- Provide customer service in the museum store, selling tour tickets and merchandise, and handling financial transactions.
- Continuously review and research information needed to provide engaging and informative tours and programs.
- Help maintain the cleanliness and appearance of the Visitor Center.
- Maintain awareness of personal and visitor safety and report potential issues to the supervisor.
- Any other duties and functions that the supervisor might assign from time to time.
- Special Project: Create social media content, increase social media presence & following, and work on special projects to incorporate our annual theme across our social media platforms. This includes working events to gather video footage, live video streaming, and still picture content.
- High school diploma or GED; some college preferred
- Enjoy working with the public
- Excellent oral communication skills
- Willingness to learn and adapt to changing information
- Creative, with analytical and problem-solving skills
- Exceptional customer service instincts
- Able to handle groups of all ages with patience and tact
- Point of Sale, customer service, and cash handling experience
- Skilled in Microsoft suite, Google suite, Instagram, TikTok, and Facebook
- Verbal and auditory communication is necessary for giving tours
- Required to stand, walk about, and climb stairs 75% of the day
- Regularly required to work outdoors, sometimes in adverse weather conditions (heat, rain)
- Occasionally required to bend, stoop, kneel, or crouch, use hands and arms for reaching and grasping
- Occasionally required to lift and/or move up to 35 pounds (chairs, sales items, etc.).
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus
Hours may vary based on business need and are determined by the Director of Operations. Schedules
may require work on holidays, weekends, and evenings. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet but may become loud during high customer volume or special events. Work is usually performed indoors in a climate-controlled environment; however, occasional work may be performed outside under natural conditions (special events, etc.).
Travel may occasionally be required to work at local off-site events and attend staff outings off-site.
This position is open until filled.
Heritage Square Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics.