Museum Store Management Apprentice
As part of the Phoenix Office of Arts & Culture – ArtCorps Student Worker Program, Heritage Square is accepting applications for a Museum Store Management Apprentice for Fall 2022.
This position is open to any current or recently graduated undergraduate student who is attending an institution of higher education in Phoenix (or who live in Phoenix themselves). You don’t need to be under a certain age and don’t need to be studying the arts or a related field. Undergraduate students of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
The Museum Store Management Apprentice will work under the supervision of the Director of Operations and will also receive training from the Executive Director and the Director of Visitor Engagement. The Apprentice will be directly involved in several initiatives to develop the operation and programming of The Bungalow (the museum store of Heritage Square) which specializes in consignment items from local artists and merchandise that complements the Rosson House Museum and Heritage Square programs.
Potential projects may include but are not limited to:
- Revising and developing the retail operations manual, scope of sales statement, and inventory procedure
- Developing themes for merchandising (such as Prohibition, Victorian Spiritualism, Victorian Technology, etc.), suggesting new products, and implementing ways to display products according to theme
- Researching in our point-of-sale system (Square) to add barcodes to product tags to facilitate sales transactions and aid in inventory management
- Creating and implementing programs and events such as art shows, opening receptions, First Fridays activities, workshops (such as Paint and Sip, etc.), events with live music, culinary arts events, children’s activities (such as story times, ice cream making, crafts, etc.), etc.
- Assist with retail operations including sales, customer service, purchasing, merchandising, and inventory
- Work with art consignors and find and recruit new consignors
- Develop programs and events to increase visitation and promote The Bungalow and encourage sales
- Foster a positive work environment through courteous, respectful, and helpful interactions (in person, on the phone, and in email) with co-workers, visitors, and donors
Knowledgeable about Microsoft Office. Experience with Square or other point-of-sale software is a plus. Good oral and written communication skills. Good organizational skills and consistent attention to detail. Retail experience is a plus.
If you are an undergraduate student and would like to apply for this position, email your resume and cover letter to our Director of Operations, Ashley Davis, at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Museum Store Management Apprentice.”
This position is presented as part of the Phoenix ArtCorps, a student employment program from the Phoenix Office of Arts and Culture that seeks to provide students with the comprehensive skills, mentorship, and experience they need to launch their arts and culture careers. Over the course of a semester, each student works 400 hours for $16/hr (around 20 to 25 hours a week), with additional stipends and professional development opportunities. To apply, students must be current or recently graduated undergraduate students at a community college, university, or other institution of higher education based in Phoenix (or live in Phoenix themselves). There are no age or other enrollment requirements. Students do not need to be majoring in the arts or similar fields to apply. To learn more about the program and find more positions, visit the Office’s website at http://phoenix.gov/arts/
Heritage Square Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics.