Go directly to School Field Trips.
Homeschool Field Trip: Discover Life in 1900
“Discover Life in 1900” is a two-hour, interactive field trip program that offers four exciting learning stations. Your students will rotate through the stations in small groups, allowing for a personal and hands-on experience. The stations include –
- Tour the Rosson House: Take a tour of the Rosson House, where trained docents help students explore themes including early Phoenix, technology, transportation, and 19th century lifeways.
- Experience 19th Century Chores: Using both real and reproduction artifacts, students learn first-hand about the chores their turn-of-the-century counterparts may have done. They wash laundry using a scrub board, wringer and clothesline, beat the dust out of rugs, and try their hands at old fashioned vacuums and irons.
- Become History Detectives: While exploring historic documents and photos, students become detectives, developing theories about territorial Phoenix and the Goldberg girls based on primary source evidence.
- Play Victorian Games: Hoop and Stick was once a favored outdoor game. Students try their hand at controlling the wooden hoops while racing their classmates.
- Age Group: Field trips to Heritage Square are designed for third and fourth graders. Homeschool groups can be a mix of ages and grades, but for the best experience, we recommend groups be within these grade levels.
- Cost: $9/students, $15/chaperones, 1 adult for every 5 students is free.
- Time: Program length is 2 hours. Our staff is flexible and happy to work with you to create a custom field trip just for your group.
- Availability: Field trips are usually scheduled to take place on days the Rosson House Museum is closed to the public – Monday and Tuesday from October through May, and Monday through Thursday from June through September. Some days may be unavailable due to other programs and/or events.
- Booking: We require payment 2 weeks prior to the visit in order to confirm your reservation in the calendar.
- Transportation: We’re on the light-rail, so click here if you plan to travel on mass transit.
- Group size: A minimum of 4 children over 5 is required to book a field trip. Due to staffing constraints we can only accommodate groups as large as 14 children.
- Lunch: Your group is welcome to have lunch on site. We offer picnic style space in shade or sun. Please let us know if you’ll be picnicking at the Square when you book your visit.
Sign Up For a Field Trip:
Sign up for a Homeschool Field Trip by using this form.
Optional Worksheet for Students: Discover Life in 1900 Field Trip Worksheet
Educational Standards: 2018 Standards for Discover Life in 1900
For more information about field trips, contact our staff via email or at 602-388-8090.
School Field Trips
School field trips are currently paused.
We understand that you would love to have your students explore history at Heritage Square, but our budget and staffing has yet to return to pre-COVID levels, so we are unable to restart our school field trip program at this time. Our educational Traveling Trunks are available and can be rented by filling out the online form or contacting us at email@example.com to ask about booking a trunk. Check out our History at Home page for a bundle of activities, recipes, and staff recommendations. Our blog is also chock-full of fascinating history – give it a read! Thank you, and we look forward to seeing you at the Square again soon!