- This event has passed.
Unmentionable Comes to Phoenix!
October 5, 2017 @ 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm$5 – $25
Welcome author Therese Oneill as she reads from Unmentionable: The Victorian Lady’s Guide to Sex, Marriage, and Manners. A book signing will follow the author’s presentation.
$5 per person, reserve in advance as seating is extremely limited.
Reserve your book in advance through our website and be first in line for the book signing.
This talk kicks off a new VIP tour. Victorian Secrets: The Unmentionable Tour begins Friday, October 6th, and will take place every other Friday through April 2018. Those who purchase a ticket to the Unmentionable lecture will receive $5 off the $25 ticket price for a “Secrets” tour. Included at the end of the tour, visitors join us for a glass of wine and an appetizer at the award-winning restaurant, Nobuo at Teeter House, just steps away at Heritage Square. Learn more here.
Have you ever wished you could live in an earlier, more romantic era? Come along on a guided tour of the 19th century, where arsenic is a face cream, opium is a medicine, and all of your underwear is crotchless. Therese Oneill will take you there in Unmentionable, a hilarious, scandalously honest guide to the secrets of life as a Victorian lady. Sourced from turn-of-the-century advice books (mostly written by men), and featuring approximately 200 vintage photographs and drawings, Unmentionable doles out detailed advice on:
- What to wear (fetch the cage)
- How to flirt (no eye contact – eye contact is for trollops)
- How to wash your hair (get out the ammonia)
- Where to relieve yourself (that explains the pot of cold pee under your bed)
- How to conceal your loathsome addiction to menstruating (you’re doing it wrong)
- How much laughter is permitted in the street (none)
- How to choose a husband (it’s all in the head lumps)
- What to expect on your wedding night (aren’t you in for a surprise)
- How to maintain your youth (fill in those wrinkles with lead)
- And more!
“Hysterically funny and unsettlingly fascinating. This book is full of awesome.”
—Jenny Lawson, #1 New York Times bestselling author of Let’s Pretend This Never Happened and Furiously Happy
“This fun romp of a book will appeal to history aficionados and lovers of the Victorian age and its etiquette, as well as anyone who enjoys a good laugh at the oddly absurd.”
- The Bungalow@Heritage Square
602 E Adams Street
Phoenix, AZ 85004 United States
- View Venue Website
- Heritage Square – Education Department